South Africa’s reliance on their attack at the World Cup has been cruelly exposed, especially with leg-spinner Imran Tahir the only bowler who has consistently been on top of his game. In terms of reputation, the biggest loser in this tournament must be Kagiso Rabada.The 24-year-old Rabada was on fire at the IPL just preceding the World Cup and was expected to lead his attack and be a shining light in the same way the likes of Mohammad Amir, Jofra Archer, Mitchell Starc, Lockie Ferguson, Lasith Malinga, Mustafizur Rahman and Jaspreet Bumrah have been for their sides.But whether it is due to his tank now being empty or the weight of expectation on his shoulders, Rabada simply has not fired, whether it be in taking wickets with the new ball or getting his team across the line when defending totals against New Zealand and India.“KG has been brilliant the last year, he bowled quickly through the whole summer, and he is trying. But he didn’t start well and his confidence took a hit. But he’s a great bowler and he can fix that. His career has been one highlight after the other and this is probably his first stumbling block, so it’s about how he responds and gets better. He needs to take stock,” Proteas captain Faf du Plessis said.“I don’t think there’ll ever be a perfect answer in terms of managing his workload and he probably has bowled too much. We did try to keep him from the IPL because we wanted him to be fresh and then we tried to get him back early. It’s important we find space to rest the three-format players like him. But he came in not fresh, it’s not an excuse, just a fact. His pace has probably been a bit down. But KG is such a big player for the team and we will always have that workload challenge.”The likes of Bumrah and Archer lined up in just as many IPL matches as Rabada, and the leading wicket-taker in global Test cricket last year clearly did not want to talk too much about it.“I wanted to rest up prior to the World Cup so I could be fresh for an important tournament, so the plan was to leave the IPL early, but that didn’t work out, don’t ask me why. I got a lot more results in the IPL, but here I’ve just done okay, I would have liked to do better. These are the tournaments you really want to stand up in; at times I’ve been unlucky, but at other times I’ve let myself down.“Unfortunately I just haven’t been able to bring out my best on the field of play, which is what I have to do, so that is disappointing. But at the top it’s never smooth sailing, it’s extremely tough and ups an downs are part of the game. The key is to bounce back and I will definitely come back firing and nail down my performance. I’ve come in with a good mindset and it’s just the execution that is the question mark,” Rabada said.One can only marvel at leg-spinner Imran Tahir though, who has been the true leader of the South African attack and is their leading wicket-taker (10) and most economical bowler (4.89). Rabada, in contrast, has taken just six wickets and conceded 5.25 runs-per-over.“I’m really trying to stand up but I’ve just been okay, while Imran has bowled unbelievably well. Everyone has the same passion he’s shown, but sometimes it’s about confidence as well. You can have all the hype or passion, but if our skills are not up to date or your confidence is down, then you can’t lead. His confidence has been sky-high for a number of years,” Rabada said of Tahir.For more news your way, download The Citizen’s app for iOS and Android.
When Rasmus Sandin arrived for practice on Monday, he was called into a meeting with coach Mike Babcock and general manager Kyle Dubas where he was told he was being returned to the Toronto Marlies.“Obviously it is a little bit disappointing, you want to be up there,” Sandin said after completing his first practice of the season with the Marlies. “Getting sent down, you have to see the positive things in it; hopefully get to play a lot of minutes down here and keep developing.” The meeting was quick, though, with no long, drawn-out messages from the coach for the 19-year old who impressed and training camp and had two assists after playing in each of the Toronto Maple Leafs’ first six games.MORE: In surprising move, Leafs loan Sandin to MarliesAnd from Babcock’s perspective, that’s how those type of meetings should go.“To be honest with you, when you send a guy down, everything you say after ‘you’re going down’ he doesn’t hear,” Babcock said. “So we’ll go down there in four or five days, take the video stuff and sit down with Sheldon and we’ll go through it. That’s a way better time to give him a message.”The Maple Leafs sending Sandin down was a good thing for the 2018 first-rounder, essentially because the team recognizes his ceiling is far higher than the NHL role he was asked to fill. Sandin is viewed as a defenseman with future top-pairing potential that can excel in all aspects of the game, including at even strength and on special teams. That’s what he’ll be doing in the AHL: leading the power play, contributing killing penalties and find himself with 20 plus minutes at the end of the night.At the NHL level right now, Babcock said he can’t find Sandin those opportunities.“The bottom line is, Dubas and I have talked about this the whole time, just constant dialogue monitoring his progress. He had a real good camp, real good exhibition, real good start here. We can’t get him on the power play or penalty kill in front of the guys we got,” Babcock said. “For him, a real good night is 14 minutes and we just think managing our assets and getting our team to be the best we can, this is the best thing for his development and in the meantime we’ve got guys who can play in the roles in the minutes that are allowed.”Sandin played 15:20 minutes on Oct. 7 against the St. Louis Blues and has averaged 12:13 in six games, with no power-play or and virtually no role on the PK; instead, veterans mainly handled that workload.“He knows how many minutes he was playing and when you’re sitting there and you know you’re not getting to go out and you’d like to go out there, it’s not as much fun,” Babcock said.This is vintage Rasmus Sandin. pic.twitter.com/qBUrazAs5q— Nick DeSouza (@NickDeSouza_) October 11, 2019Of what Sandin did pick up from that Monday morning meeting, Toronto wants him to continue to develop his creativity. “Just come down and play my game as I did last year and I think how I started this year (in training camp),” Sandin said. “Be creative with the puck and be the player I am.”Still, the opportunity to get a taste of the NHL was productive for Sandin; he proved to him that he can play at this level, which showed him the benchmark he needs to reach. Now he will be working towards an end with the Marlies, instead of working towards an unknown.“Absolutely I think it was very helpful for me to be up there and get a few games in. I think I can handle playing up there and that’s obviously great to feel,” Sandin said. “There’s also some things I need to work on to get better and more consistent on. It’s everything, you don’t want to develop just one thing. You want to develop overall as a player so I’m just trying to develop on everything I can.”What was the biggest difference he noticed from the preseason, where he stood compared to the regular season, where he was getting by?“I feel like it’s more serious, I think everyone is working a little bit harder,” Sandin said. “Some guys are going a little bit harder, they’re competing for points in the standings all the time and I think it’s overall a better game.”THE LINEUP: Action-packed Week 3 of 2019-20 NHL campaign upon usBabcock admitted he and Dubas weighed the benefits of having Sandin continuing to develop at the NHL level in a limited role compared to having him in an elevated role in the AHL. In sending Sandin down, Babcock made sure to stress this was not a demotion, per se.“It’s not like he’s not getting another opportunity (at the NHL level in the future),” Babcock said. “We went back and forth on that a bunch to see what we could do. Just by looking at our group and what we’re doing, we weren’t affording him those opportunities. The guys that we’ve overcooked seem to get to a higher end than the guys that get rushed.” There is a business-side benefit to sending Sandin too, which cannot be overlooked. By returning him to the Marlies prior to him playing his tenth game, Sandin’s entry-level contract could “slide”, meaning they could get three NHL seasons of Sandin playing on a cap hit of $894,167 beginning next year. That could be hugely beneficial for the Maple Leafs in the future, needing as many value contracts as possible with the top end of the roster commanding such a large slice of the cap.In the end, Sandin not only gained experience but made a great impression on his Toronto teammates, who want to see him sooner rather than later.“Sandin is awesome. Off the ice, before we even worry about on the ice, he’s such a great guy. He came up to me a few times asking me a couple things and it made me feel special,” defenseman Travis Dermott said. “He comes in every day working hard and trying to impress the guys he has to impress but also worrying about being a good teammate and just working his bag off. He came in every day doing that, he definitely earned my respect. I love the kid, can’t wait until he’s back up.”
Step through the doors of Ultimate Indulgence and you’ll enter an oasis of relaxation. The walls are filled with products…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription. By Danielle Kutchel
Three men attached to the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) were on Monday jointly charged with larceny and released on ,000 bail each by Magistrate Leron Daly.It is alleged that Richard Charles, Kevin Fitz and Victor Logan between February 13 and 14, 2017, at Camp Ayanganna, Thomas Lands, Georgetown, stole eleven bags of milk valued $153,890 and several cases of Golden Cream butter valued $57,000; a total value of $211,290 and the property of the GDF.The trio pleaded not guilty to the charge read by the Magistrate.Charles was unrepresented while Defence Council for Kevin Fitz, Attorney Fung-A-Fat, requested that his client be released on reasonable bail explaining that he is 22 years old, married with two children and no previous brushes with the law.Defence Counsel for Victor Logan also requested bail, relating to the court that the man has a five-year-old child and no previous charges or convictions.The Magistrate granted bail in the sum of $70,000 to each of the accused. The trio will make their next appearance at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts on March 6.
Arsenal and Chelsea fans have been warned they could be a target for terror attacks in Azerbaijan.The Premier League sides will compete in the Europa League final in the capital city of Baku on May 29.Despite being thousands of miles from London and being given less than 6,000 tickets each for the spectacle at the Olympic Stadium, supporters of both the Gunners and the Blues are expected to flock in their thousands to the South Caucasus for the chance to see their side lift a European trophy. Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Arsenal players celebrate during their Europa League victory over Qarabag at the same stadium But the Foreign Office has issued a warning to British fans planning to head east about a ‘likely’ attack.“Terrorists are likely to try to carry out attacks in Azerbaijan,” the Foreign Office wrote.“Attacks could be indiscriminate and against civilian targets, including places frequented by foreigners, such as international hotels, restaurants and pubs, as well as energy sector facilities.“You should take sensible precautions.” SORRY gameday cracker Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ MOST READ IN FOOTBALL latest 2 JIBE Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 “You can report a crime at any local police station or by telephoning the police on 102. English speaking staff are available on the telephone, but when reporting a crime at a police station take someone with you who can interpret.“Don’t sign any documents you don’t understand.“Corruption is an everyday aspect of life in Azerbaijan. You should avoid paying bribes.” The UK Government have also provided a guide to deal with criminal activities in Baku.“Crime levels in Baku are generally low,” it reads. “But muggings do occur from time to time after dark in the centre of town around the western bars and clubs and near dimly lit entrances of private apartments.“Take sensible precautions: be vigilant, avoid carrying large sums of money and don’t walk alone at night.“Try to arrange to be picked up or dropped off as close to your hotel or apartment entrance as possible by a private/company driver, or a known taxi firm.REVEALED – Why Arsenal and Chelsea have so few tickets for Europa League Final Liverpool update ‘Champions Wall’ after ending 2019 as European and world champions whoops The Olympic Stadium in Baku will host the Europa League Final TROPHY Sky Sports presenter apologises for remarks made during Neville’s racism discussion LATEST Lampard appears to aim dig at Mourinho for handling of Salah and De Bruyne at Chelsea revealed 2
Registration is open at 12:30p, Coach John Dablow and the Coaching Staff will welcome everyone at 1:30 and the afternoon begins at 2p with a shotgun start. There will be a dinner and awards ceremony at 6:30p.Entry fee for the Scramble tournament includes 18 holes of golf, cart rental, range balls, participation gifts, hole prizes, refreshments and dinner.Cash prizes go to the top three teams and there will be $10,000 Hole in One Contest as well as longest drive, putting and closest to the pin contests.Call Coach Dablow at 812.967.3931, ext. 5225 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Get signed up for the Eastern Football Booster Club 2014 Golf Tournament to be held Wednesday, June 11 at Hidden Creek Golf Club.It’s just $65 per golfer and all proceeds go to the Eastern High School Boys Football team.
Hanson and Baur team to finish fifth in best-ball competition for TigersBy Paul LeckerSports ReporterMERRILL — The Marshfield boys golf team finished fifth out of 10 teams at the Merrill Bluejay Invitational on Saturday at Merrill Golf Course.Lakeland won the meet with a 330, just one shot ahead of Wausau East. Merrill was third with a 335, Rhinelander fourth with a 336, and Marshfield was fifth with a 342, one shot ahead of Wausau West.Merrill freshman Russell Detterming of Merrill was meet medalist with a 6-under-par 66, which included a hole-in-one on the par-3 13th hole.Derek Michalski shot an 80, Brendan Schneider had an 83, Joe Kirschnik shot an 88, and Grant Michaelis had a 91 for the Tigers Team 1 score.Marshfield’s Team 2 had a 344 with Zach Hanson shooting an 85, Nate Boson and Reed Miller firing 86s, and Ben Baur adding an 87.The meet also featured a two-man best ball tournament, which was won by Dettmering and Hunter Wallace of Merrill with a 9-under 63. Hanson and Baur teamed for a 74 to finish fifth.Marshfield hosts the sixth leg of the Wisconsin Valley Conference Tournament on Tuesday at RiverEdge Golf Course.(Hub City Times Sports Reporter Paul Lecker is also the publisher of MarshfieldAreaSports.com.)Merrill Bluejay Boys Golf InvitationalMay 13, at Merrill Golf CourseTeam scores: 1. Lakeland 330; 2. Wausau East 331; 3. Merrill 335; 4. Rhinelander 336; 5. Marshfield 342; 6. Wausau West 343; 7. D.C. Everest 351; 8. Antigo 365; 9. Wisconsin Rapids 397; 10. Northland Pines 402.Top 5 individuals: 1. Russell Dettmering (MER) 66 (included hole-in-one on par 3 13th hole); 2. Matt Tuman (WE) 71; 3. Josh Yang (WW) 74; 4. Kyle Bengston (LAK) 76; 5. Hunter Wallace (MER) 76.Marshfield Team 1 scores (342): Derek Michalski 80; Brendan Schneider 83; Joe Kirschinik 88; Grant Michaelis 91.Marshfield Team 2 scores (344): Zach Hanson 85, Nate Boson 86, Reed Miller 86, Ben Baur 87.Two-man Best Ball Results: 1. Russell Dettmering-Hunter Wallace (MER) 63; 2. Matt Tuman-Mike Lapree (WE) 66; 3. Kyle Bengston-Adam Lazaroff (LA) 71; 4. Josh Yang-Ben Langlois (WW) 73; 5. Zach Hanson-Ben Baur (MAR) 74.
An Arizona man who robbed the Cottonwood Walmart of goods worth less than $10 is still facing two felony charges. Wednesday, at about 11:30 AM, officers responded to Walmart for someone who shoplifted items but just left the store and “sped off” in a green Ford passenger vehicle, according to a news release from the Cottonwood Police.Walmart’s Asset Protection employee was able to get a license plate number. Officers recognized the suspect description and vehicle information because of previous contact with that person. Officers located 27-year-old Cottonwood resident Nicholas Lee Martin in the Fry’s grocery parking lot. Martin was taken into custody and transported back to Walmart.The items he took from Walmart were located in the vehicle in the passenger seat — along with drug paraphernalia commonly used to ingest heroin such as syringes. The items Martin allegedly stole totaled $9.12 but due to the officer’s familiarity with Nicholas Martin they checked his criminal history to determine whether the typical misdemeanor charge should be filed as a felony shoplifting. The news release from the Cottonwood Police points to a state statute… The Verde Independent- Sponsor – Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox. Sign up now
A national search is underway for Mizzou’s next football coach after Barry Odom was fired on Saturday.Wake Up Columbia got the latest from PowerMizzou.com‘s Gabe DeArmond on Monday:
Roma have been fined €30,000 for ‘territorial discrimination’ chants against Napoli, while Atalanta’s Josip Ilicic receives a two-match ban. The Disciplinary Commission also imposed a partial stadium ban on a sector of the Hellas Verona crowd where racist abuse was clearly audible towards Brescia striker Mario Balotelli. With the same rules, Roma are fined €30,000 and have been put on a warning for a stadium ban after repeated chants of ‘territorial discrimination’ towards Neapolitans. This anti-Southern sentiment is treated the same way in Italy as racism and the game was stopped for several minutes while Roma captain Edin Dzeko urged the fans to stop, a gesture that lowered the punishment Roma would otherwise have received. Meanwhile, the Disciplinary Commission gave Atalanta player Ilicic a two-match ban for unsporting behaviour, as he was sent off for kicking out at an opponent with a reaction foul during the 2-0 defeat to Cagliari. It means Ilicic will miss games against Sampdoria and Juventus. Brescia forward Alessandro Matri was suspended for one game and fined €15,000 for insulting the referee. There are also one-match bans for Roma defender Mert Cetin, SPAL defender Igor and Sassuolo midfielder Pedro Obiang. Bologna director Riccardo Bigon was given a two-game touchline ban and €10,000 fine for insulting the referee. Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/